Presma origins date back before World War II. In 1927, when Twins Giannino and Luciano were born, Grandfather Giuseppe established his CANZIANI GIUSEPPE CARLO – Mechanical repairs.
Thanks to the inventiveness of Alberico, the first born son, the first manual press for thermoplastic was built in 1937, and in this year Presma’s history began. In 1936 Alberico , 21 years old, visited the Exhibition in Leipzig (Germany) where he saw items produced in polystyrene (Trolitul). At this time, the Canziani’s family activities included the production of cutting machines, for the manufacture of combs, made of horn, imported from Africa. Alberico’s idea was to “form” finished combs at which he succeeded. He designed a system, mounted on a wooden support, which composed of a manual piston to inject the material he got from Germany, and of a manual toggle system used for the mould clamping. The Canziani’s brother started producing combs using this new technology but found the Trolitul was too brittle and the teeth on the combs broke too easily. Fortunately, in 1937, Co. Mazzucchelli, an historical company, located in the same region, started the production of “Rhodoid”, a cellulose acetate. It was the first plastic material suitable for injection moulding and contributed to the large increase in Combs production. The idea of line production of water hydraulic presses, for injection, became reality.
After the World War II, the craft imprinting gradually changed and the first line presses made for combs and glasses were studied and realized . In 1949, thanks to the continual research commitment, Presma started the production of vertical and horizontal presses for the production of screwdrivers and knives. In 1945 the company entered the shoe market producing vertical machines for heels. This was the first important development that brought the production on to an industrial scale. A constant growth enabled Presma to get in touch with a wide variety of moulding sectors. Their experiences allowed them to follow their customers market requirements, and highlighted their skills to foresee new technologic solutions to better satisfy the moulding needs of that period. To obtain high productions, the Canziani’s brothers manufactured a vertical press with a rotating table on which they installed several moulds. The innovative idea of rotating clamping groups arose. These innovations are still representing PRESMA’s name.
The next fundamental step was the construction of the world’s first press for the injection
moulding of semi-foamed thermoplastic materials realized in collaboration with the leading manufacturers of plastic raw materials. Since November 1963 the producers of shoe parts had finally the possibility to use a machine with a rotating group equipped with 10 clamping units. Its name was “ROTOMIX B” which had a storage head and two independent injection units to process semi-foamed thermoplastics. Heels,
wedges, clogs and soles of high quality started to be moulded using polystyrene, polypropylene, PVC and thermoplastic rubbers. After several trials, in 1968, semi-foamed EVA was also able to be processed.
The Shoe market was still the main business, but PRESMA did not ignore the technical
aspects, which also lent itself to the semi-foamed injection process, for products
such as brushes and furniture manufacturing. In 1975, in cooperation with a famous
German machine manufacturer, Schloemann-Siemag, Presma developed a rotary injection
moulding machine for co-injection (sandwich-structure), which gives a foamed
core and compact surface.
The agreement with I.C.I. in 1977, as well as the further constructive improvements
applied by PRESMA’s Engineers, helped establish the new generation of machines
for co-injection on the market, the BIC
series, : the results were well finished,
thick and compact looking range of parts.
Always striving for a constant and systematic research for technological improvements,
the 10-station CROSSLINKING machine for cross-linked and foamed EVA co-polymers
entered the market at the end of 1985, developing new and interesting applications
In the same year, Co. OMR Engineering Srl replaced the historical machine manufacturer
for shoe lasts in plastic, OMR INCOMA company. PRESMA, as the major shareholder,
expanded their presence on the shoe market. In 1988, in New Jersey (U.S.A.),
Co. Presma Corp. was founded; with 50% control it was launched as a reference
to this Italian brand on the U.S. market. The company ceased its activity in
2009 due to the economic crisis that hit the US market hard during that time.
On Dec. 10th/1992 Luciano
died and in Dec. 1988, Alberico also passed away: PRESMA had lost
two of their three founders, which left Giannino together with the
next generation, to continue their industrial tradition.
At the end of 1998, OMR Engineering Srl was taken over by PRESMA,
this enabled three new divisions to be realised:
FOOTWEAR DIVISION , dedicated to the shoe market. Supplying Injection
Moulding Machines, not only for shoes accessories, but including
INJECTION MOULDING MACHINES, still the predominant branch, developing
modular and vertical machines for insert moulding, rotary injection
moulding machines for compact and semi-foamed materials, as well
as co-injection for small, middle-sized and large items, and occasionally
traditional type horizontal Injection Moulding Machines.
SPECIAL APPLICATIONS & AUTOMATION , niche applications, automation
and multi-station production cells designed around the customer’s
In 2001 the growth program towards foreign countries continues with
the opening of the Guangzhou office, and thanks to Mr. Saeed Rahmatyan’s
help, PRESMA is back on the Chinese market. A short but profitable
four-year cooperation with ROBOTECH AUTOMAZIONI Srl, established
in 2004 and having their headquarter in PRESMA’s premises,
contributed to increase their expertise in robotics and automation.
Important and specific production cells have been realized in the
following years, basically for the production in automatic of screwdrivers
and pipes for household appliances.
In September PRESMA founds RUBBER DIVISION, a new challenge addressed
to the natural rubber and solid silicone market. In the following
years, many large production units, never built before, are developed
and supplied with customer’s top satisfaction. All along
PRESMA design and manufacture their own plants in Italy, preserving
valuing the technological excellence as well as the quality that
mark the Made in Italy brand.
Current PRESMA, always managed by the Canziani’s families,
count on Mr. Giannino Canziani as President and on the second generation
represented by Giorgio, Franco and Enrica, and keep the traditional
mark alive. The “Non Standard Technology” slogan ,
that in these latest years accompanies the factory image, means
the supply of tailor-made production plants, fully realized by
our own engineers and by selected Italian partners, with groundbreaking
technology in full environment respect and in total compliance
of the best working conditions. PRESMA factory in Torba, covers
an area of approx. 20000 m², and has nowadays more than 50